Journal Article

The complete mitochondrial genome and phylogenetic analysis of Sinocyclocheilus angularis (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae)

Luo, Q. and Zhang, R.

Record Number:
Mitochondrial DNA Part B
Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is cited
This is the first study to determine the complete mitochondrial genome of Sinocyclocheilus angularis, which is an endemic cavefish native to the Karst region of the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau. The complete mitochondrial genome size of S. angularis was 16,586 bp, and it consisted of a control region, 13 protein- coding genes, 22 transfer RNA genes, and 2 ribosomal RNA genes. The base composition of the mitogenome was 25.14% A, 32.45% T, 27.10% G, and 15.31% C, with an overall GC content of 42.42%. Phylogenetic analysis revealed that all Sinocyclocheilus were clustered into one strong clade and S. angularis was very closely related to S. bicornutus. It will provide an essential genetic tool for the further evolutionary studies and conservation of genus Sinocyclocheilus.
Times Cited:
Related Records:
Zheng, J. Z. and Wang, J. (1990)
Description of a new species of the genus Sinocyclocheilus from China (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae)
Chen, Y.R. and Yang, J.X. (1993)
Species and origin of cave dwelling Sinocyclocheilus fishes
Chen, Y.R. and Yang, J.X. (1993)
A synopsis of cavefishes from China
Wang, D. and Chen, Y.Y. (1998)
On the diagnosis of Sinocyclocheilus and the taxonomic position of its closely related genus Anchicyclocheilus (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae: Barbinae)
Xiao, H, Zhang, R, Feng, J, Ou, Y., M, Li, W, Chen, S and Zan, R (2002)
Nuclear DNA content and ploidy of seventeen species of fishes in Sinocyclocheilus
Zhao, Y.H. and Zhang, C.G. (2009)
Endemic fishes of Sinocyclocheilus (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae) in China - Species diversity, cave adaptation, systematics and zoogeography
Romero, A., Zhao, Y.H. and Chen, X.Y. (2009)
The hypogean fishes of China
Zhao, Y.H., Gozlan, R.E. and Zhang, C.G. (2011)
Out of sight out of mind: current knowledge of Chinese cave fishes
Zhang, C.G. and Zhou, Y.H. (2016)
Species diversity and distribution of inland fishes in China
Yang,J., Chen,X., Bai,J., Fang,D., Qiu,Y., Jiang,W., Yuan,H., Bian,C., Lu,J., He,S., Pan,X., Zhang,Y., Wang,X., You,X., Wang,Y., Sun,Y., Mao,D., Liu,Y., Fan,G., Zhang,H., Chen,X., Zhang,X., Zheng,L., Wang,J., Cheng,L. (2016)
The Sinocyclocheilus cavefish genome provides insights into cave adaptation
Niu, C., Luo, J., Yang, J. and Zhao, Y. (2018)
Length–weight relationships of four cavefish species from China
Chen, H., Li, C., Liu, T., Chen, S. and Xiao, H. (2019)
A metagenomic study of intestinal microbial diversity in relation to feeding habits of surface and cave-dwelling Sinocyclocheilus species
Lunghi, E., Zhao, Y., Sun, X. and Zhao, Y. (2019)
Morphometrics of eight Chinese cavefish species
Zhao, Y., Zhang, C. and Proudlove, G.S. (2021)
Fishes of the Genus Sinocyclocheilus (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae) in China. Systematics, biology, biogeography and cave adaptation
Yin, Y.H., Zhang, X.-H., Wang, X.-A.,Li, R.-H., Zhang, Y.-W., Shan, X.-X., You, X.-X., Huang, X.-D., Wu, A.-L., Wang, M., Pan, X.-F., Bian, C., Jiang, W.-S., Shi, Q., Yang, J.X. (2021)
Construction of a chromosome-level genome assembly for genome-wide identification of growth-related quantitative trait loci in Sinocyclocheilus grahami (Cypriniformes, Cyprinidae)
Luo, Q. and Zhang, R. (2021)
The complete mitochondrial genome and phylogenetic analysis of Sinocyclocheilus angularis (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae)
Duan, Y.-F., Li, M., Xu, K.-W., Zhang, L. and Zhang, L.-B. (2021)
Protect China’s karst cave habitats
Zhao, Y., Huang, Z., Huang, J., Zhang, C. and Meng, F. (2021)
Phylogenetic analysis and expression differences of eye‐related genes in cavefish genus Sinocyclocheilus
Li, R., Wang, X., Bian, C., Gao, Z., Zhang, Y., Jiang, W., Wang, M., You, X., Cheng, L., Pan, X., Yang, J. and Shi, Q. (2021)
Whole-genome sequencing of Sinocyclocheilus maitianheensis reveals phylogenetic evolution and immunological variances in various Sinocyclocheilus fishes
Tian, M., He, L. and Zhou, J. (2023)
New genera and new species of cavernicolous beetles from southwestern China (Coleoptera:Carabidae: Trechini, Platynini)